Job hunting can be a daunting and stressful process. You have to polish your resume, nail interviews, and network like crazy just to get a foot in the door. Now, advances in AI present intriguing new possibilities to give your job search a competitive edge. By prompting an AI assistant with targeted questions, you can get objective feedback to perfect your resume, gain insider tips to ace interviews, and identify openings suited to your goals.
But should you hand your career hopes over to AI tools like ChatGPT, Bard, Bing, or, my personal favorite, Claude?
Consulting AI has risks. Generic or improper advice could derail your efforts. Overreliance on AI may make you miss organic opportunities or underperform what you claim to know. In addition, ethical issues exist around AI bias. Still, used judiciously, prompting an AI assistant can provide personalized guidance, industry insights, mock interviews, and career prep.
So be strategic. Experiment with amplifying your search with AI, but ultimately own the process. With the right balance, AI could be your secret weapon. But only you can truly build your best future.
Here are 30 prompts and brief explanations that I might suggest to clients using AI assistants like those I’ve mentioned to help with their job search:
- “Please review my resume and cover letter and suggest any improvements.” The AI can provide an objective assessment to help polish these critical documents. Check its recommendations
- “What are the most in-demand skills for a [job title] right now?” Knowing key skills can help you tailor resumes and interviews or suggest additional training you should get.
- “What types of questions might I be asked in an interview for [job title]?” Practicing answers will lead to better interview performance.
- “Please act as a hiring manager and ask me some common interview questions for [job title].” More interview practice is always better.
- “What are some examples of good answers to the question ‘Tell…